#546 Packaging of Fan

tactics Wed 22 Apr 2009

In future releases, would it be possible to zip the Fan release files with an extra top-level directory?

Currently, the zip file contains adm, bin, examples, src, etc all as top-level directories. Most unzip software extracts the top level directories to the current directory.

I bring this up because more than once, now, I've accidentally extracted the fan release to my desktop instead of to a "fan" folder on my desktop. I then have to go hunt down each of the subfolders on a messy desktop. At least I know what the base directories are, and I can track them down easily. I imagine this might be annoying for new users.

brian Wed 22 Apr 2009

Promoted to ticket #546 and assigned to brian

brian Wed 22 Apr 2009

Ticket resolved in 1.0.42

Yeap that is something I should have done a long time ago. Thanks for finally getting me to do that.

tompalmer Wed 22 Apr 2009

It's sort of annoying that different tools have different expectations. Either style can be bothersome. I'm just glad that Gnome handles either case fairly well.

tactics Wed 22 Apr 2009

Yeap that is something I should have done a long time ago. Thanks for finally getting me to do that.

I noticed this issue a while ago, but I finally got around to mentioning it because last night, I found my "examples" folder had been sitting outside the rest of my Fan installation for about two weeks o_O

It's sort of annoying that different tools have different expectations. Either style can be bothersome.

I definitely agree with you. Unzipping a zip file to a folder you just created - only to have to (possibly rename), cut & paste, and delete the folder you just made - is no less annoying. But between the two, I think this solution is less likely to cause people to have problems with the installation. If someone forgets to cut & paste their lib directory to the right place, they might not understand why Fan doesn't work out of the box and drop it.

Login or Signup to reply.